Hillsides is a premier provider dedicated to improving the overall well-being and functioning of vulnerable children, youth, and their families. We provide high quality care, advocacy, and innovative services that promote safe, permanent environments where young people can thrive.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
The essential functions include:
- Responsible for the production of project/ program proposals, grant applications, and concept papers that expand and enhance Hillsides’ business development activities
- Research and adhere to proper grant policies and procedures for submission of grant proposals and programmatic reporting
- Manage all aspects of proposal preparation to ensure complete, accurate, timely, high-quality submission that conforms to requirements of potential funders
- Lead, develop and direct program planning and planning team members
- Supervise the creation, development and initial implementation of programs and enterprise-wide initiatives
- Collaborate with the finance department on developing appropriate program budgets, implementation timelines and deliverables, evaluation plans, and quantifiable goals and objectives independently
- Develop and maintain contacts with external funding agency personnel (government and community agencies)
- Analyze current program and project activities to identify opportunities to integrate evidence-based, industry-accepted models of intervention and services
- Develop and maintain a RFP (Request For Proposal) data warehouse and activity tracking system by which to compile, input, and retrieve data relevant to responsibilities
- Represent Hillsides and supervise collaborative proposal and grant application activities with community partners
- Independently link funding opportunities and leveraging opportunities to Hillsides current and projected needs by establishing and defining an editorial and application strategy that will present the most compelling case for funding
- Autonomously acquire, maintain, and expand knowledge of health industry-related topics, current events, policy updates, local/ regional/ national budget issues and political discussions that impact Hillsides’ work
- Provide technical assistance, coaching and professional development support of Grants Development Associate and new team members
- Manage all existing government contracts; have an in-depth understanding of each contract and its corresponding requirements. This includes attending meetings and conferences related to contract compliance and integrating updates to all of the organization’s government contracts
- Collaborate with departments, including program leadership, to ensure that all compliance elements are being met
- Participate in establishing key performance target measures for each program/division to assist and enhance continuous quality improvement
- Develop and maintain a Contracts drive that is easily accessible to key leadership within the organization
- Other duties as required
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Communication Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, office personnel, other employees and the general public
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret manuals and office documents
Mental/Interpersonal Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to listen and develop information into grant proposals.
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals and documents.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Program, BHD teams and support services departments.
- Strong editing skills with attention to English language grammar, syntax, and spelling.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- Ability to work independently, while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments, ensuring attention to detail.
- Ability to monitor progress and meet the research needs for the BHD.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of research and other relevant information.
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills.
- Specialized subject knowledge of English language, grammar, and syntax.
- Ability to work independently and with others – including other employees, clients and members of the public -- in face-to-face and telephonic contexts
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and manage time, meet deadlines and perform duties under time constraints
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing work demands
- Maintain high level of concentration and attention to detail for extended periods of time
- Maintain a high level of ethical and professional standards in accordance with agency and community policy
Physical Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to talk or hear in order to give and receive information and instructions
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to use computer keyboard up to 80% of the day
- Visual acuity, ability to adjust focus and peripheral vision for work on a laptop or other computer equipment
- Lift and/or move up to 5 pounds
Equipment and Computer Software Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft WORD, Excel, and Office 365 functionality) and Welligent data/electronic records program
- Ability to manage, navigate and create dashboard and database systems used for the maintenance of the organization’s contracts.
- Able to use telephone, typewriter, office copier, calculator, fax machine, computer printer and scanner, or other equipment as required
ADDITIONAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support all BHD activities
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES & TRAINING
- B.A. in Public Administration, English, Political Science
- Experience in proposal writing for behavioral health or related field coupled with a minimum of 3-5 years of grant writing experience preferably in the non-profit sector; or, 7 years of professional writing experience (i.e., promotional and marketing writing, technical writing, research, journalism, teaching language arts, etc.).
- Experience with computerized preparation and assembly of complex documents including figures, images, and text.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Valid California driver’s license and personal vehicle insurance acceptable to Hillsides’ insurance carrier
Every employee has the opportunity and responsibility to participate in one or more activities each year that support the continuous quality improvement (CQI) of Hillsides’ programs & services. Activities might involve membership on a CQI committee or work group, service as a peer reviewer, data collection for CQI and evaluation purposes, completion of CQI questionnaires and surveys or participation in focus groups, or other activities as identified by CQI committees or work groups.
TRAUMA INFORMED CARE (TIC)
Hillsides practices Trauma Informed Care (TIC) principles which recognizes the signs, symptoms, and widespread impact of trauma; Employees are asked to comprehensively integrate knowledge of Trauma Informed Care into policies, procedures, and practices with the goal to prevent re-traumatization which promotes healing of families, youth, individuals, and communities.
This position performs tasks that do not involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues. All Hillsides employees are offered the opportunity to receive the Hepatitis B vaccination series.
In exchange for your skill and experience, Hillsides offers an excellent benefits package, which includes:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Long term disability
- Life insurance
- Competitive salary
- Supportive work environment
Hillsides has embarked upon implementing and embedding Trauma Informed Care (TIC) principles throughout the organization. Candidates should be aware that all employees are involved in the implementation and the practice of Trauma Informed Care within the organization.
Hillsides is an Equal Opportunity Employer